user $PATH problem

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Wed Apr 5 18:12:32 UTC 2006

Gene Heskett wrote:

>Adding it to ~/.bash_profile seems to allow it to survive the
>pathmunge'ing being done in /etc/profile, so I'm A) confused as to why
>it does, and B) in any event, is there a good reason to dis-allow
>access to /usr/local/sbin for the normal user?

I think it is just a matter of minimizing the number of commands that an
ordinary user sees.  Most of what's in /sbin, /usr/sbin, and
/usr/local/sbin requires root privileges to do anything useful anyway.
That said, I agree that /usr/sbin and /usr/local/sbin should be on
amanda's path, and I've also modified my local systems so that amanda's
~/.profile sets PATH to /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin.

Stephen Walton