FC5 and fglrx problems solved

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.msbb.uc.edu
Wed Apr 5 18:15:53 UTC 2006

    I finally managed to get the livna fglrx drivers working properly
on FC5 i386. The method that worked was...

1) executing 'init S' as root to drop down to single user mode with X11
2) removing the previously loaded radeon kernel module with 'rmmod radeon'
3) enabling the fglrx kernel module with '/usr/sbin/ati-fglrx-config-display
enable' which now executes without warnings or errors.
4) rebooting

After rebooting, I know find that programs which use libGL show a
linkage to /usr/lib/ati-fglrx. Interesting the frame rate from glxgears
is 1500 fps which is the same frame rate that I got from the radeon
driver.
                 Jack
ps I am still puzzled about the problems the fglrx rpms have in doing
this in an automated fashion. Didn't FC4 load a kernel module for
radeon cards as well? For some reason the new fglrx packages seem
unable to cope with a loaded radeon kernel module in FC5.