Questions about the new mount system: "gnome-mount"?

J. K. Cliburn jcliburn at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 23:19:06 UTC 2006

On 4/4/06, Steven P. Ulrick <lists-fedora at afolkey2.net> wrote:
> Hello, Everyone
> Before I proceed to ask this question, I want to acknowledge that I
> have read the following from the release notes:
> > Fedora Core 5 now uses gnome-mount, a more efficient mechanism that
> > replaces fstab-sync, and uses HAL to handle mounting.

I didn't encounter the problem you describe with KDE failing to
automount, but then I'm using the version of KDE released with FC5.

For better or worse, what you'll find with the new gnome-mount scheme
(if you haven't already discovered it) is that you can no longer
predict the traditional mount point, like /media/cdrecorder -- the
mount shows up on your desktop as the name of the gnome-mounted
volume. For example, you'll see a handsome icon labeled
HAROLD_AND_KUMAR_GO_TO_WHITE_CASTLE on your desktop if you so happen
to insert that particularly fine movie into your drive.  Apps that
depend upon a predefined mount point for media no longer have a place
to look, unless you create the mount point and manually mount the
media to that mount point (with or without assistance from fstab)
after insertion.

There was a lengthy and (to me, anyway) acrimonious thread on the
topic over at the fedora-testing-list, from which I discerned no
particular inclination among those I perceive to be decision makers to
revert to the former way of mounting media, so this is the way it
shall be, I think.

Xine seems to be able to find the media well enough, but I haven't yet
had occasion to burn a CD/DVD under FC5, so I don't know if K3B can
find it.  I presume it "just works" with K3B, since a cry of protest
hasn't arisen to contradict that presumption.

"This is progress," I keep telling myself...

Jay