Fedora Core 5 x86_64, OpenOffice 2.0.2 unable to open XLS files

Ambrogio fn050202 at flashnet.it
Thu Apr 6 06:03:52 UTC 2006

Il giorno gio, 06/04/2006 alle 08.07 +1000, David Timms ha scritto:
> Ambrogio wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I installed Fedora Core 5 and with OpenOffice 2.0.2 I'm unable to see a
> > lot of XLS files, that with fedora core 4 I was able to.
Well... for first tnx for the response.

> Do you mean that they do not appear in the open file dialog ?
No. I use the command line to open mi files in the most case.
In this case the first command was
oocalc Symmetrix_layout.xls
and I obtain a blank worksheet without grid.

Even in Fedora 4 I was problems (a lot of random crashes) with the
distributed version, so I removed and installed the official RPM by
openoffice.org

After I removed all openoffice by yum remove and installed the 2.0.2
version I had the same behavior
An empty spreadsheet without grid.

So I removed the 2.0.2 version and I installed the 2.0.1 version, and
all works good.
I can see all my number and letter in the grid :-)

> Are your on disc files using capitals as the extension ?
no capitals on the extension

> If you do a % file mytestxlsfile.xls, what is the response ?
Microsoft Office Document

> What are the permissions of the problem files $ ls -l /home/myname/*.xls ?
rw-r-r

> That should help us point you in the right direction..
I hope, but now I solved my problem by downgrading to previous version.
I need to work a lot on this spreadsheet, so I think that this is my
right direction now.

If is possible to have the 2 version installed on the same system, I'm
available to make some test.

Now I have 2 questions:
1. Is the RPM from openoffice.org 64bit or 32. And it's possible that my
64bit OS (and other packages) is not compatible with 32 bit packages?
Is possible to recompile from the source to obtain a 64bit version or is
the code that is different?

2. There is a mailing list for OpenOffice.org in which I can discuss
about this behavior (I will search also by openoffice.org site and by
google).

Tnx a lot
 Ambrogio

P.S. If you want to try my xls file ask to me in private.