Error automounting partitioned USB flash drive

Jacques B. jjrboucher at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 12:27:47 UTC 2006

On 4/5/06, Jacques B. <jjrboucher at gmail.com> wrote:
> When I connect a USB flash drive that is partitioned (2 partitions -
> first one FAT32 and labeled as such, second one Linux swap), FC5 tries
> to automount the device /dev/sda.  It comes back with an error saying
> only root can mount it.  My question is two part.  First why would it
> try to mount /dev/sda, and not /dev/sda1?  It does create the proper
> folder under /media bearing the label name of the thumb drive, but as
> noted tries to mount /dev/sda.  The second part is how can I have it
> so an ordinary user can mount it?  Used to be in /etc/fstab.  I seem
> to recall a posting about udev but I'm not familiar with that.  I'm
> not at the office so I can't provide dmesg output at this time.  But I
> will tomorrow if same is needed to figure out my problem.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jacques B.

I get two error windows that pop up.  One has the error message:

"Cannot mount volume
You are not priviledged to mount the volume 'FAT32'."

The other has the error:

"Cannot mount volume
You are not priviledged to mount this volume."

Here is my dmesg output:

SELinux: initialized (dev sda1, type vfat), uses genfs_contexts
usb 3-1: USB disconnect, address 4
usb 3-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
usb-storage: device found at 5
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
  Vendor: SanDisk   Model: Cruzer Mini       Rev: 0.2
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
 sda: sda1 sda2
sd 6:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda
sd 6:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
usb-storage: device scan complete

Like I said I can mount it (/dev/sda1, or swapon /dev/sda2) no problem
in a bash shell from the root account.  But not as a regular user.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jacques