./configure command

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 6 15:55:04 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 01:16, Todd Zullinger wrote:
>

>>It's not too tough to build an rpm.  And I think that it'd be easier
>>to help someone new learn build an rpm than it would be to help them
>>recover their system if some important library got accidentally
>>erased.
>

> There are lots of ways that a system can break.  I'd recommend
> having a backup of any important files and knowing how to restore
> them before spending time learning to either compile or package
> things.

That was my point, exactly. I keep my system backed up. This is
the *first* thing a newbie should learn. Before $ make install,
before $ rpm -i, before you name it.

I also nearly always use --prefix, and install into my home
directory, not to /usr/local. I've got a /home/jmccarty/usr/... tree.
If anything goes bad, I just delete the directories altogether.
There is NO UNINSTALL NEEDED.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.