Can't install FC5 on Dell Optiplex 170L

Internet Frame, sa de cv i.frame.0 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 16:09:06 UTC 2006

Trying to install fc5, anaconda aborts installation due to an unhandled
exception, just after anaconda checks for dependencies of the selected
packages to install. The situation is as follows:

originally my pc runs with a sata (160 GB) drive, on which win xp is
installed. so, and not wanting to touch the drive i attached to normal ata
drives ( each 20 GB), and disconnected the sata drive, Why to drives? Well
because i got a problem: in another machine (home brew), i was running fc3
but unfortunately this machine is not starting, so i decided to install fc5
on the dell machine with the 2 ata drives and sata removed, so as to be able
to mount my fc3 drive after the installation of fc5, in order to rescue my
work from the fc3 drive.

 I allready submited a bug to anaconda, # 188120. Any ideas how to solve
this problem? Thx in advance for your help.

The first few lines of the anaconda dump are:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/lib/anaconda/gui.py", line 1253, in handleRenderCallback
     self.currentWindow.renderCallback()
   File "/usr/lib/anaconda/iw/progress_gui.py", line 245, in renderCallback
     self.intf.icw.nextClicked()
   File "/usr/lib/anaconda/gui.py", line 951, in nextClicked
     self.dispatch.gotoNext()
   File "/usr/lib/anaconda/dispatch.py", line 146, in gotoNext
     self.moveStep()
   File "/usr/lib/anaconda/dispatch.py", line 217, in moveStep
     rc = apply(func, self.bindArgs(args))
   File "/usr/lib/anaconda/packages.py", line 151, in turnOnFilesystems
     partitions.doMetaDeletes(diskset)
   File "/usr/lib/anaconda/partitions.py", line 1283, in doMetaDeletes
     lvm.lvremove(name, vg)
   File "/usr/lib/anaconda/lvm.py", line 145, in lvremove
     raise SystemError, "lvremove failed"
SystemError: lvremove failed

Local variables in innermost frame:
lvname: LogVol01
vgname: VolGroup00
args: ['lvm', 'lvremove', '-f', '/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01']
dev: /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01
rc: 1280