dual booting XP and Linux

Washington, CJ (OCTO) CJ.Washington at dc.gov
Thu Apr 6 17:52:10 UTC 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com]
On Behalf Of Mike McCarty
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 1:26 PM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: dual booting XP and Linux

Washington, CJ (OCTO) wrote:
> Fedora Core 5 and Windows XP using two Hard drives.
>

> Have another question, I tired and tried to load Linux and XP using two
> different Hard Drives.  XP loaded
>
> Correctly, and it seemed as if Linux did to. I loaded XP on the primary
> drive and linux on the slave drive.  I followed the instructions on
Fedoras
> site on how to dual boot two operating systems and installed grub in the
MBR
> on hda.  Every time I tried to boot the machine, the MBR was I guess
ignored
> and linux never booted.  XP kept booting.  So I found a website that
> mentioned removing one of the harddrives, installing XP on it, then
removing
> that harddrive and plugging in the second harddrive as master, install
Linux
> on that one, then plug in the hard drive with XP as the slave drive.  Then
> booting into linux and changing the grub.conf file.

I found it easier to let the WinXP boot manager chain load GRUB
than the other way 'round. MicroSoft products like to be in
charge. While GRUB+Linux is not a good match, it is a reasonable
match, and works pretty well, whereas GRUB+WinXP is a poor match,
and the WinXP boot manager is a pretty reasonable tool. Once GRUB
is in memory, it's just GRUB, however it got there, and can load
Linux just fine.

Mike
--

Mike, thanks for your help, so since I do have Linux successfully installed
and I have Windows XP successfully installed but on two different hard

Is WinXP boot manager a separate tool that I need to purchase?

You have found the bank of Larn.