FC5 Totem and DVD

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Apr 6 19:47:24 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 11:41 -0700, Styma, Robert E (Robert) wrote:
> However the bottom line is that some new person goes through the
> exercise of loading Fedora on his laptop.  He is pretty proud of
> himself as it went in rather nice.  He goes to the store buys a DVD
> puts it in the player and it won't play.  When he asks for help, he
> gets one answer explaining why it cannot be allowed to work and a
> slightly more useful answer pointing him to detailed instructions
> which assume far more know how than he has.

I would like to point out that even Windows users can face the problem
of not being able to play DVDs.  They get a new DVD burner, it comes
with OEM Nero.  They go through the fun of installing it, only to find
they have one program that works (the burning software), demos of other
features (e.g. being able to make MP3s of their audio CDs), and a DVD
player that doesn't play sound.  Why's that?  MPEG licensing!  You've
got to pay extra for that.

I don't mind, so much, that Fedora can't play DVDs straight away, so
long as it's not too painful to add it yourself.  It's *just* another
application to add.  No different from installing XMMS because you don't
like Rythymbox, or whatever...

Having said all that, I think PCs are a damn awful way to watch a DVD.
Noisy, bug prone, and a poor display (LCD or CRT VDU gamma is different
from a TV set gamma, for one thing).

I read messages from the public lists.