Upgrade without CD/Floppy?

Anil Kumar Sharma xplusaks at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 03:13:25 UTC 2006

On 4/7/06, Todd Zullinger <tmz at pobox.com> wrote:

> Devon Harding wrote:
> > I have a FC3 system that cannot boot from CD or floppy.  Is it
> > possible to upgrade to FC5 without a CD or Floppy?  Yum?
>
> I have no experience doing yum upgrades, though many folks on this
> list have done them with varying degrees of success, judging by the
> archives.
>
> My preference when updating to a new version is to do a fresh install
> and then restore my config file changes manually.  Not always quick
> and easy, but it avoids some update pitfalls.
>
> Anyway, some options (other than yum) that you may have are network
> boot or a usb drive.  If you can boot from a usb device, that's
> probably less setup than a network boot.  Both methods will require
> you to have another system that you can put the install files on and
> each will require a network card.
>
> How familiar are you with linux?  Setting up a network boot isn't all
> that hard, but it's also not something that'd be fun to try if you're
> still learning your way around a command prompt.  I did this a while
> back with (IIRC) FC2 and I had little problem googling for the
> details and making it work.

Get iso files (either dvd or cd) on your hard disk.
mount them in loop
copy install files (vmlinuz and initrd) from iso to /boot
edit grub.conf to give install boot option
boot into the new install option
choose install method
point to the location of iso files and proceed to either fresh install or
upgrade.
(specific details of each step are discussed in threads before, please
search.)

--
Anil Kumar Shrama