Argh! FC5 installation: Cannot install FC5 disk #4!

David Fletcher fc at fletchersweb.net
Fri Apr 7 10:49:30 UTC 2006

At 11:23 07/04/2006, you wrote:

>07 Apr 2006 12:19:08 +0200, Ingemar Nilsson <init at pdc.kth.se>:
> > "Franck Y " <franck110 at gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > For my part i killed likely 15 Cd's.
> >
> > I suggest that you do not use CD-R's but rather CD-RW's, since then any
> > problems with the burn could be mitigated by a rewrite without costing you
> > extra CD's.
> >
> > Regards
> > Ingemar
> >
>I had a similar problem, but I had to burn a CD-R instead of a CD-RW.
>And linux mediacheck passed CD-RW on two systems, but same CD-RW
>failed on another system!!!
>The other 4 CD-RW passed mediacheck on all computers: please note same
>brand of support.
>And the problem came from disk #4!!!
>--
>Antonio Montagnani
>Skype : antoniomontag

I seem to recall the same thing happening with FC4.

What I do now is

1) use sha1sum to verify my downloaded ISOs

2) use CD-RWs (as I always have) in case of accidents such as dust on
the CD surface

3) get K3B to do a check of the written CD whan it's finished. When
K3B gives the "All files seem binary equal" message I deem the CD to be OK.

Dave F