Upgrade without CD/Floppy?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Fri Apr 7 12:02:40 UTC 2006

Paul Johnson wrote:

> I've done yum upgrades on 3 different systems. All ended up fine.
>
> 1. Go to RPMS for FC5 and look for the rpm fedora-release. Install
> that manually.
>
> 2. Run
>
> yum update yum
>
> to make sure you have the newest yum.
>
> 3. Run
>
> yum update
>
> That will take about 30 minutes to download a list of all packages and
> their interdependency information, then it will ask you if it is OK to
> proceed. If have seen it
> go faster if run during the middle of the night on a 100baseT
> ethernet, while a "cable modem" system took longer than 30 minutes.

I agree with your advice about how to do it,
but I think your estimate of how long it will take is rather optimistic.
It took me 13 hours to upgrade from FC-4 to FC-5
on a Sony Picturebook (C1VFK) with 192MB RAM (the maximum possible).

What is a little off-putting with such a large update
is that yum goes silent for long periods (an hour or more in my case)
and it is not entirely clear if things are still going OK.

Actually, I got one dependency conflict after 2 hours or so -
I don't recall what it was -
and I had to add an exclude clause to /etc/yum.conf
and start again.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366