Fedora Core 5 x86_64, OpenOffice 2.0.2 unable to open XLS files

Dan grinnz at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 14:15:00 UTC 2006

Ambrogio wrote:
> Il giorno gio, 06/04/2006 alle 08.07 +1000, David Timms ha scritto:
>
>> Ambrogio wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I installed Fedora Core 5 and with OpenOffice 2.0.2 I'm unable to see a
>>> lot of XLS files, that with fedora core 4 I was able to.
>>>
> Well... for first tnx for the response.
>

>> Do you mean that they do not appear in the open file dialog ?
>>
> No. I use the command line to open mi files in the most case.
> In this case the first command was
> oocalc Symmetrix_layout.xls
> and I obtain a blank worksheet without grid.
>
> Even in Fedora 4 I was problems (a lot of random crashes) with the
> distributed version, so I removed and installed the official RPM by
> openoffice.org
>
> After I removed all openoffice by yum remove and installed the 2.0.2
> version I had the same behavior
> An empty spreadsheet without grid.
>
> So I removed the 2.0.2 version and I installed the 2.0.1 version, and
> all works good.
> I can see all my number and letter in the grid :-)
>

>> Are your on disc files using capitals as the extension ?
>>
> no capitals on the extension
>

>> If you do a % file mytestxlsfile.xls, what is the response ?
>>
> Microsoft Office Document
>

>> What are the permissions of the problem files $ ls -l /home/myname/*.xls ?
>>
> rw-r-r
>

>> That should help us point you in the right direction..
>>
> I hope, but now I solved my problem by downgrading to previous version.
> I need to work a lot on this spreadsheet, so I think that this is my
> right direction now.
>
> If is possible to have the 2 version installed on the same system, I'm
> available to make some test.
>
> Now I have 2 questions:
> 1. Is the RPM from openoffice.org 64bit or 32. And it's possible that my
> 64bit OS (and other packages) is not compatible with 32 bit packages?
> Is possible to recompile from the source to obtain a 64bit version or is
> the code that is different?
>
> 2. There is a mailing list for OpenOffice.org in which I can discuss
> about this behavior (I will search also by openoffice.org site and by
> google).
>
> Tnx a lot
>  Ambrogio
>
> P.S. If you want to try my xls file ask to me in private.

Openoffice.org does not yet have a stable 64bit version, but it is in
development. Thus, both the RPM from core and that from OOo is 32bit.
The 64-bit OS shouldn't have problems with one version and not another,
though. I would file a bug, http://bugzilla.redhat.com , and perhaps
check openoffice's issue tracker (another name for the same thing).
-Dan