PCI-e rs232 card on linux

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Apr 7 15:07:57 UTC 2006

<------------------[ SNIP ]---------------->

> When inspecting dmesg I notice the following, which seems relevant at
> this point:
>
> 00:07: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
> ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:02:00.0[A] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 169
> ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:02:00.0 disabled
> ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:02:01.0[A] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 50
> ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:02:01.0 disabled
>
> The softio people suggested i manually try configuring the devices with
> setserial but i did not think this would work:
>
> setserial /dev/ttyS4 Port 0xecf8 IRQ 169 UART 16950 baud_base 115200
> setserial /dev/ttyS5 Port 0xecf0 IRQ 50 UART 16950 baud_base 115200
>
> However the device nodes did not exist.
>
> Bit of googling shows the chip used on this card has been used in pcmcia
> serial controllers, but thats of little help as this device is PCI
> express.
>
> What do I need to do to get this card to work? Anyone know?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dan

You can try using /dev/ttyS2 and /dev/ttyS3 instead of /dev/ttyS4
and /dev/ttyS5. Unless you have 4 serial ports on the motherboard
and/or ISA cards, they are probably free. Otherwise you can create
udev rules to create the device nodes.

If that does not work, you may have to load the parport_serial
module. I know I need it for the PCI 2 serial/1 parallel card
I have before the serial ports work.

Mikkel