locale stting in Gnome

Parameshwara Bhat peebhat at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 17:40:53 UTC 2006

Dear list,

How does one set the locale or extract locale setting in Gnome?

In OOo, I cannot enter 1/10/05 for October 1,2005.My locale is India,date
format is DD/MM/YYYY, and I am entering in the format.But,hoe OOo sees
that is MM/DD/YYYY.In OOo--Tools--options--Language setting is kept
'default', meaning OS locale.IF I understand correctly,my habit of date
entry should have been correctly seen by OOo in Gnome.

I suspect,locale setting in Gnome could be the reason.I could not ferret
the 'locale' in Gnome,though I know how to do that in KDE.

What common commandline tool to set/check locale of system?