Azureus open ports - security problem?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Apr 8 06:34:22 UTC 2006

On Saturday 08 April 2006 01:18, Laurence Vanek wrote:
>Have in the past used (with FC4) Bittorrent with my firewall which
> tests as "stealth" when tested with shieldsup on https://www.grc.com.
> I did not need to do anything special with regard to opening up my
> firewall to expose a certain port.  Perhaps Bittorrent has a way
> around this.
>
>Azureus is a different matter.  Apparently I need to open the firewall
>to expose certain ports for it to work.  Otherwise, I get the infamous
>"NAT problem" when configuring it.  If that is the case,  isnt this a
>security problem with port(s) open when Azureus is not in use.  Surely
>not many are going go thru an open & close port cycle after every use
> of Azureus.

Strange as it may seem, thats exactly what I do when I run azureus, port
forward those ports in the router, and an extra set of rules on the
firewall box then allows the port forwarding to this box. Once you've
got them configured, the change can be done, either direction, without
any rebooting, in maybe 2 minutes.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: