Starting shorewall

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Apr 8 12:18:14 UTC 2006

Paul Howarth wrote:

>> Incidentally, when shorewall is left in its original position
>> in /etc/rc.d/rc.init it does not start up properly;
>> it has to wait for my wireless LAN to start up.
>> In this case I get a clear error message from shorewall.
>
> At what point in the boot process does your wireless LAN come up?
> Is it a regular initscript at a fixed place, or do you use something
> like NetworkManager, which only brings it up when you log in?

Thanks, as ever, for your help.

I'm not using NM at the moment,
as it does not seem to work with my Orinoco Gold 11b card
(in a PCI adaptor).

As far as I can see, the wireless LAN comes on
after S45pcmcia starts.

> If it's a regular initscript, you could just move shorewall to start
> later in the boot process, after the wireless LAN.

I did indeed do this, following your advice I think -
to make quite sure, I renamed the link in rc5.d to S999shorewall .
I also tried putting it in rc.local (which appears after that as S99local).

In both cases shorewall seemed to start perfectly,
but as I said, did not function properly.
I am sure your advice to stop the iptables service is the solution.
[I haven't been able to test it yet,
as 3 relations - wife, daughter and grand-daughter -
are currently using one of my little LANs - ethernet and WiFi.]

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366