yum local repos first?

Stuart smcg2297 at frii.com
Sun Apr 9 05:37:53 UTC 2006

"Kam Leo" <kam.leo at gmail.com> wrote in message news:f84880b00604082204l4591f3e6s7bdb9fd5e8563639 at mail.gmail.com...
> On 4/8/06, Stuart <smcg2297 at frii.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > There have been discussions regarding this issue for every release.
> > > The answer is to create your own repo. Check the list archives or the
> > > Fedora FAQ for details.
> >
> > I did that.  The problem (detailed in another post in
> > this thread) is that yum tries to download rpms from
> > the remote repos despite their presence in the local
> > repo.  I have spent the last two days searching the
> > archives unsuccessfully.  Do you know why that might
> > be happening or how to stop it from happening?
>
> The problem is with repos not sanctioned by Fedora Core. You get
> similar packages with different suffixes. Yum is not able to
> differentiate. In this instance you have to pick your repos wisely.

In my case the local repo contains only a small
subset of packages from the FC Extras repo, so
the packages should be identical and officially
sanctioned.

> You can also do as I did for FC4, i.e. use Smart Package Manager. Give
> the Fedora Core and/or Extras higher priority than the auxiliary repos
> and your problem should be minimized.

That looks interesting, and I'll look into it more.  Thanks!

I used FC4 but FC5 is the first time I've used yum.  After
all the good things I heard about it, I've got to say I'm a
little disappointed.  It may be great for those with a fast
internet connection but it seems like the designers totally
blew off the people with slow or no internet connections.