Apache Server Name

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Apr 9 12:46:49 UTC 2006

Dan Shelstad:
>> Trying to set up Apache on FC5. Trying to do the basics like Server
>> name. Can’t seem to get past this. Error is “Warning” “The server name
>> may only contain alphanumeric characters”. Trying to put in FC5 and
>> this is what I get. I have tried other combinations also to no avail.

Paul Howarth:
> It's looking for a real hostname, like www.example.com
>
> You must use a real name that resolves to the IP address of your
> server.
> Don't just make one up. If you don't have a real hostname, use the IP
> address of your server instead, as explained in the comments
> in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf

You can fake one up, so long as you go about it sensibly (use something
that isn't a real domain name elsewhere, or one set aside for testing
use).  Sinc it needs to resolve, registered name or not, you also need
to have your server's IP address associated with the name you pick
(either through your DNS server, or a hosts file).

e.g. An /etc/hosts file entry:

192.168.1.10  webserver.test  webserver

If you use your hosts file, you'd have to make sure than your system
first tries using the hosts file *BEFORE* DNS.  That's configured by
the /etc/nssswitch.conf and /etc/host.conf files.

An example /etc/host.conf file:
order hosts,bind

An example line from the /etc/nssswitch.conf file:
hosts:  files dns

I read messages from the public lists.