Corrupted Desktop Icons

Jeffrey D. Yuille jeffy5 at optonline.net
Sun Apr 9 18:22:14 UTC 2006

Hello,

     I just booted to the desktop in FC5 and I see that all of my
desktop icons have become corrupted (except for the home, computer, and
trash icons).  When I click on one of them, there is a message that says
"Cannot open (program).... The filename (program) indicates that this
file is of type 'desktop document'.  The contents of the file indicate
that the file is of type 'desktop configuration file. '  If you open
this file, the file might present a security risk to your system. "  How
do I restore the desktop icons (shortcuts)?  I recall in the past that I
had a similar problem where there was a hidden directory which had to be
deleted and the computer rebooted in order to restore the desktop.  Any
help would be appreciated.