HP Pavilion LapTop, AMD Turion 64 cpu

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang+gnus200604 at dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com
Mon Apr 10 04:21:15 UTC 2006

Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> writes:
> I just bought this thing, and have spent the evening doing a little
> housecleaning and exploring using the deafult XP Home edition OS thats
> on it, and trying to get used to the 'mouse' tablet as a navigator tool
> and have a few questions.  And please excuse me but this is the first
> 'windoze' machine I've ever bought.

I just did the same thing with a different HP Turion-based laptop
(Compaq v5000z).  The steps I took were:

1) boot the stock os and run the defragmention tool.
2) download the "gpartd" iso and burn onto cd/dvd.
3) boot the gpartd dvd and reduce the first partition size to
   something much lower.
4) download and burn fc5 onto a dvd
5) boot the fc5 dvd and have it use the "unused space" as the FC5
   partition

So far I haven't reclaimed the D partition, but if push comes to shove
   I just tack it on to the end of the linux partition.

> If I wanted to put linux on this, should I use the i386 dvd of FC5 I
> already have, or go get the AMD64 version?

Personally I got an amd64 to do 64-bit address space things with.
Running it in 32-bit mode seemed really wasteful.

> Thats enough questions for one message I think, and many thanks to those
> who attempt to help a windows newbie get back to his favorite OS. :-)

I know very little about ms-windows. The only thing I found it useful
for was to test the wireless card.  The broadcom-based card in my
machine (bcm4318) still doesn't show up under FC5 but works fine on
the stock os.

-wolfgang
Direct SIP URL Dialing: http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/phonedirectory.html