How to copy a Fedora-4 system? Again!

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Apr 10 11:45:48 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:

> OK, but why should it hurt anything to have the destination
> file system have a copy of the running source system?  Shouldn't
> anything necessary be reconstructed and anything else not
> matter?  If you can't restore a working system from a tar
> backup a lot of people have a big problem.

That's a very good question - in fact, more or less the same question.
You will have to exclude some directories, eg /proc, if you do this;
so the same question arises, which do you exclude?

Actually, I didn't try tar on this occasion.
I used rsync simply because it is easier to exclude directories with this,
although I know it is possible with tar also.
Well, there was another reason for using rsync;
I thought some problem might arise during the copy,
and rsync would allow me to resume.

But is there actually any difference between rsync and tar
for this purpose?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366