Samba and NFS need some explanations.

Ivan Evstegneev bravo_elf at gmail.ru
Mon Apr 10 21:19:07 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 15:00 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 22:04 +0300, Ivan Evstegneev wrote:
> > Hi everyone!!!
> >
> > The problem is that I still can't understand when do I need to use SAMBA
> > and NFS?
> >
> >    For example: I have two computers at home one is PC and it directly
> > connects to the Internet and the second one is laptop that connects via
> > the PC, it can be called the standard scheme for most of the people I
> > guess. On my PC Win XP is installed and the laptop has FC5 on it.
> >    So now I want to enable file sharing between those two computers. The
> > question is: how do I need to configure all this stuff? I mean... on
> > which computer do I need install samba, the PC or laptop or both of
> > them? Does it must be Samba-server packet or client will be enough? And
> > what is NFS for anyway? When do I use this one? I got totally confused
> > about all this stuff...
> >    I don't need some step by step guides or something like that, just
> > give me some "global" explanation so I'll try to go on by myself.
> >
> > These are the different types of schemes I would prefer to receive some
> > info about what do I need to install on each one to get the file sharing
> > among them. I wanna try all of these for gain some experience. :)))
> > 1) PC=Win XP     laptop=FC5
> > 2) PC=FC5        laptop=FC5
> > 3) PC=FC5        laptop=Win XP
> >
> > *** note: my PC has direct connection to the NET and laptop connects via
> > PC.
> ----
> smb (samba is derived from smb) means server messaging block - the
> original Windows methodology of networking. If UNIX/Linux systems want
> to share files with Windows systems, samba is what you use on
> Linux/UNIX, windows networking is what you use on Windows.
>
> nfs (network file system) is a uniquely UNIX/Linux file sharing scheme
> and unless you install the Microsoft offering 'Services For Unix' -
> Windows is utterly incapable of using this networking methodology.
>
> NFS understands the users/groups methodology of Linux/UNIX systems.
> Samba understands the users/groups methodology of Windows systems.
>
> samba has excellent documentation that explains it all - see 'By
> Example' here...
> http://samba.org/samba/docs
>
> nfs has pretty good documentation...see
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/NFS-HOWTO/
>
> and maybe this link...
> http://www.tldp.org/LDP/lame/LAME/linux-admin-made-easy/index.html
>
> Craig

Thanks for the help!!! One more thing, I just was looking around for
some network related utilities... and I found LISa daemon!!! So now I'm
able to see the windows folders and access them from my Linux machine!!
but as I understood from your answer I still need to install the SAMBA
server on Linux so I will able to see my shared folders on windows based
computer.... it's so strange!!!! Don't they just build some "combo"
package that will apply to all sides?... so weird.... :)))