ldap and hosts

Andrew fedora at tolboe.org
Mon Apr 10 22:21:00 UTC 2006

Craig White wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 15:17 -0600, Andrew wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I have a ldap server running on another distro and I use it for a lot of
>> different things (such as users, passwords, and hosts) and it all works
>> fine on that distro.  I'm also trying to get all of this to work in FC5
>> and so far I have gotten users and passwords to work but the hosts is
>> giving me problems.  If I type getent hosts I see the complete list of
>> hosts as it should be but if I try to ping one of the hosts it just
>> hangs.  If I try to ping the ip address everything works fine.  I should
>> also note that I can't ping domain's either (such as yahoo.com) again it
>> just hangs but if I use a browser I can browse to them.  On another
>> note, when I type getent hosts in the ldap console i can see the query
>> but when I try to ping a single domain I see nothing in the ldap
>> console, not even an attempt.
>>

> ----
> you need to confirm padl tools setup...
>
> what's output of ???
>
> grep host /etc/nsswitch
>
> grep host /etc/ldap.conf
>
> Craig

padl tools setup?

the hosts line from my ldap config
nss_base_hosts  ou=Hosts,dc=example,dc=org

from nsswitch.conf
#hosts:     db files nisplus nis dns
hosts:      files dns ldap

Note: ldap was before dns but by moving it back i was able to ping
yahoo.com.  But I still can't ping hosts in the hosts list.

thanks again
-Andrew