Instability Issue in Fedora Core 5

Edward Dekkers edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Tue Apr 11 07:35:26 UTC 2006

Sam Chen wrote:
> It was more stable in fc4. The system is Asus P4R800-V Deluxe
> Motherboard with P4 3.00GHz CPU hyperthreading. 1GB ram. I noticed that
> in fc4 the hyperthreading made it unstable, so I disabled the
> hyperthreading function; however, it does not help in fc5. It keeps
> crashing. I can count 20 times a day. Before the new patch
> 2.6.16-1_2080smp, it was fine, but after the patch, it is totally
> different. the kernel now even with 2054smp is unstable. I am still
> wondering if wine or httpd cause the problem. Now it is like every
> 30-45 minutes, I have to do a hard reset.

Hard reset necessary is more likely a hardware fault than a software one.

You're welcome to keep diagnosing the software, but if I were you I'd
look at hardware as well.

It's my job diagnosing system faults (nearly 10 years now, where has the
time gone?) and hard locks are 90% of the time due to flaky hardware.

Regards,
Ed.