Starting shorewall

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Apr 11 09:40:50 UTC 2006

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Paul Howarth wrote:
>
>>> I'm wondering if it could have anything to do with udev?
>>> The reason I ask is that I also have some mount commands in rc.local ,
>>>
>>> /bin/mount /dev/hda1 /www
>>> /bin/mount /dev/hda2 /martha
>>> /bin/mount /dev/hda3 /elizabeth
>>> /bin/mount /dev/hda5 /alfred
>>>
>>> and these also fail, with the statement that these devices do not exist,
>>> although exactly the same commands work (as superuser)
>>> once I have logged in.
>> Is there some reason you don't just put entries for these in /etc/fstab
>> and have them mounted along with all the other filesystems?
>
> Yes, I tried that and the machine would not boot -
> it failed at the point where it was trying to mount one of these partitions.
> I had to get out my Knoppix disk, and delete the entries in fstab.

Hmm, I wonder's up there?

What's the output of:

# fdisk -l /dev/hda

> I've wondered if there is some problem with SCSI machines
> if one puts in an additional IDE drive?
> I've noticed for instance that if I re-install grub,
> it calls the IDE disk /dev/hda HD0,
> and the scsi drives HD1 and HD2.
> I have to edit /grub/device.map to get back to the old arrangement.

This is normal. On mixed IDE/SCSI systems, it's usual for the BIOS to
treat the IDE drive(s) as the "first" drive(s) and SCSI drive(s) as
additional drive(s). So grub uses the same scheme by default in order to
need as little tweaking as possible for most people. Those that have
different arrangements can change the ordering using device.map, as you do.

Paul.