Root Password

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue Apr 11 13:59:33 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 07:15 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Apr 2006, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

> > > is this under NIS, by any chance?
> > >
> > > rday
> > >
> > > --
> > >

> > Yes its under NIS
>
> in that case, i would just google on the combination of "NIS" and that
> error message and see what comes up.

IIRC from the last time I used a system with NIS involved, the command
to be used to reset a users password was yppasswd.

However, the root password should always be local to the machine and not
set under NIS. (Think about what would happen if the only way to log in
was when connected to the NIS server, but you needed to do admin stuff
on the machine so it was disconnected from the network.)