Azureus open ports - security problem?

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 11 16:26:33 UTC 2006

Laurence Vanek wrote:
> As an experiment I opened port 49155 in my firewall (use Shorewall to config
> the iptables) & got Azureus to run thru it. While running & afterward
> I probed this port from outside using ShieldsUp (https://www.grc.com)
> & found it "stealthed". It would appear my concerns were unwarranted.
> Perhaps this is because that port no. belongs to the range of dynamic
> or private ports.

That sounds right. ShieldsUp doesn't test *all* the ports on a machine.
And it assumes that those it doesn't check are in the same condition as
those it does check.

Personally, I find the *resource* useful, but the accompanying text less
so. Take his pronouncements on "stealth" with a large pinch of salt.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "Surely you don't begrudge me one measly bag per cup?"
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | "Of tea, no. Of sugar, yes."