MP3 files in Linux how to play them?!!!!!

Dan grinnz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 18:22:39 UTC 2006

Ivan Evstegneev wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 12:32 -0400, yonas abraham wrote:
>
>> Ivan Evstegneev wrote:
>>
>>> Ok now I installed my livna repository and it works just fine.
>>> There is one more question. How do I make the amarok play my mp3? cause
>>> the rpm package that I installed it from was not contain an mp3 codec...
>>> so where can I get some mp3 rpm for amarok?
>>>
>>> Ivan.
>>>

>> try to install the gstreamer-plugins-ugly from livna and amarok should
>> play mp3 files.
>>
>> --
>> Yonas Abraham, PhD
>> Registered Linux user number 407343               http://counter.li.org
>>

> Ok now I can listen  my favorite music!!! Thanks.
>
> P.S. How do you people know about all this packages? Is it by using "yum
> search" command for some mp3 codecs? Or its just an experience? ;)

I just browse repositories manually (http://download.fedora.redhat.com
and http://rpm.livna.org/fedora) and use yumex (basically gives you
instant access to the info for all available RPMs once it loads up) to
see what each package does. I still use pirut for the sake of trying it
out to install packages, but yumex is much more mature and tells you
much more (including changelog and provided files, if you tell it to).
-Dan