I can't run SWAT. Asking for help.

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Tue Apr 11 19:13:55 UTC 2006

Ivan Evstegneev wrote:

> Now I realized my mistake, I just tried all
> this time to modify "xinetd.conf" instead of "swat" binary file (I'm
> right?, Is it binary or it is a conf file of "swat"? in such case why it
> comes without "*.conf"? Does it necessary? It is marked as "plain text
> document") in "/etc/xinetd.d" folder!!!!

The files in /etc/xinetd.d are configuration files.  Their name isn't
important, so they don't need to end with ".conf".  They are loaded as
if they were a part of the xinetd.conf file.

> Let me ask me ask you more question: what is about the file I have
> in /usr/sbin/swat folder? Is this the binary file? At least it marked as
> "executable" on it.

Yes, that's the binary, executable file.  Look at the contents of
/etc/xinetd.d/swat in a text editor, it'll look almost the same as the
section that you'd previously added to xinetd.conf.

> One more thing: "chkconfig swat on" enables loading this process at the
> start up? If no, how do I enable it?

Yes, it does.  "chkconfig" can be used to manage all of the boot-time
services, including services that run out of xinetd.