Installing FC from internet

Ali Helmy alihelmy at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 20:25:13 UTC 2006

On 11/04/06, Ali Helmy <alihelmy at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > partition

> > > You can pull one from the boot.iso file:
> > > http://www.city-fan.org/tips/BootInstallerFromHardDisk
> > >
> > > Paul.
> > >

> > > --
> > >

> > The problem that you're going to run in to is that Fedora does not
> > include a tool to resize NTFS partitions, so before you can install
> > Fedora, you need to find a way to free space on your drive.
> >
> > Well, thanks guys, but I have two HDDs... so I plan to keep one with the
> > files on, and the other HDD to be formatted during installation. Then, later
> > after installation completes, I'll format the first HDD an add it to the
> > LV...
> >
> > I'll probably go ahead with the proc tonight, wish me luck :) I'll keep
> > you updated
> >

> > --
> > Cheers,
> >      A. Helmy
> > ==================
> >   One Life... LIVE It
> > ==================
> >

> In the web-page supplied (which is VERY good, by the way) it says:
> Finally to enable your Linux installer in GRUB's menu, edit the file
> F:\boot\grub\menu.lst adding a paragraph similar to this one:
>
> title My Linux installer of choice
> kernel   (hd0,0)/boot/your_linux_kernel_filename   distribution_specific_options
>
> initrd   (hd0,0)/boot/your_ramdisk_filename
>
> and the contents of the isolinux.cfg file are:
>
> default linux
> prompt 1
> timeout 600
>
> display boot.msg
> F1 boot.msg
> F2 options.msg
> F3 general.msg
> F4 param.msg
> F5 rescue.msg
> label linux
>   kernel vmlinuz
>   append initrd=initrd.img
> label text
>   kernel vmlinuz
>   append initrd=
> initrd.img text
> label ks
>   kernel vmlinuz
>   append ks initrd=initrd.img
> label local
>   localboot 1
> label memtest86
>   kernel memtest
>   append -
>

> So, according to that, what should the distro specific options look like?
>
> title My Linux installer of choice
> kernel   (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz
> what_do_i_write_here?
> initrd   (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.img
>

> --
> Cheers,
>      A. Helmy
> ==================
>   One Life... LIVE It
> ==================

Ok, nevermind that lads, Now I got to the point where the fedora core
installer started (not anaconda, just the blue/red screen) and asked me how
to install, i picked from http site, then it asked for the web-site name,
and fedora directory...

I already chose a good fedora mirror to work from which is:
http://zeniiia.linux.org.uk/pub/distributions/fedora/linux/core/5/i386/

Ok, so the installer asks me for the web-site name and the Fedora Core
Directory...
what should I enter to that?

--
Cheers,