Instability Issue in Fedora Core 5

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 11 22:07:50 UTC 2006

Edward Dekkers wrote:
> Sam Chen wrote:
>> It was more stable in fc4. The system is Asus P4R800-V Deluxe
>> Motherboard with P4 3.00GHz CPU hyperthreading. 1GB ram. I noticed that
>> in fc4 the hyperthreading made it unstable, so I disabled the
>> hyperthreading function; however, it does not help in fc5. It keeps
>> crashing. I can count 20 times a day. Before the new patch
>> 2.6.16-1_2080smp, it was fine, but after the patch, it is totally
>> different. the kernel now even with 2054smp is unstable. I am still
>> wondering if wine or httpd cause the problem. Now it is like every
>> 30-45 minutes, I have to do a hard reset.
>
> Hard reset necessary is more likely a hardware fault than a software one.
>
> You're welcome to keep diagnosing the software, but if I were you I'd
> look at hardware as well.
>
> It's my job diagnosing system faults (nearly 10 years now, where has the
> time gone?) and hard locks are 90% of the time due to flaky hardware.

I have two essentially identical FC5 partitions on my machine.  If I use
the one that was an upgrade from FC4, it freezes 2 or 3 times a day.
The one that was a fresh install of FC5 has so far not frozen at all.
They are both up to date and have essentially the same packages
installed. So, I conclude that it isn't ALWAYS hardware.

Gerry