Auth required: Outlook 2003

Stuart Murray-Smith eight32 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 14:07:18 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 15:53 +0200, Alexander Apprich wrote:
> Hey Stu@,
>
> Stuart Murray-Smith wrote:
> > Greetings.
> >
> > Package mix: Sendmail, Dovecot, POP-before-SMTP and Squirrelmail.
> >
> > I´ve configured Sendmail to require SASL auth as per
> > http://www.joreybump.com/code/howto/smtpauth.html
> >
> > Sending, receiving & IMAP works great on most workstations (esp
> > Linux :-), except for workstations running Outlook 2003. Outlook_2k3
> > receives OK (POP3), but fails on send (SMTP): ¨Relaying denied... auth
> > required¨. We´ve got ´server requires auth´ in Outlook_2k3 checkbox
> > checked, but since I don´t have this email client installed on any of my
> > workstations in front of me to test it, I can´t see what I´m
> > overlooking. Has anyone any insight into this?
> >

> I might be wrong, but there is an option in the account settings
> to use the same auth for pop and smtp. IIRC it is in the same
> window as "server requires auth"
>
> Alex

Thanks Alex

Yeah, we´ve worked through those options, but still nothing. I´m working
in the dark here because I can´t see the interface/dialogue box in front
of me.

Hmmm, seems it may be a bug. If any could please verify.

http://veertual.krank.hu/Columns/Outlook2003MailRelayingBug/tabid/83/Default.aspx

Thanks again :-)

Stu@