failed to install java-1.5.0-sun-compat-1.5.0.06-1jpp.i586.rpm

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Wed Apr 12 16:07:16 UTC 2006

Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 18:21 -0400, Dan wrote:
>
>> Kam Leo wrote:

>>> Read the "Build Instructions" at jpackage.org.  Among other items
>>> besides reading the instructions is to install the fedora-rpmdevltools
>>> package from Extras and download the .bin  file from Sun.
>>>

>> I wrote a quick and painless guide to install JPackage's
>> Fedora-sanctioned Sun Java at
>> http://www.fedorasolved.com/viewtopic.php?t=204 . Let me know if
>> anything is confusing.
>>

> Very similar to mine :-)
> http://www.city-fan.org/tips/JpackageJava
>
> The rpath problem you allude to at the bottom of the guide happened if
> you had an old version of fedora-rpmdevtools installed, which was fixed
> before FC5 came out and hence that's why you've not seen it on FC5.
>
> Paul.

Paul, that is the most complex procedure I've followed since getting
involved
with Linux and I'm still not sure of what I did but miraculously Java
now works
with Firefox and FC-5!  I was able to do a speed test on our new
wildblue.net
satellite service at last.

Thank you.

Bob Goodwin   Zuni, Virginia