New on cable. Bash prompt name changed?

ron macroron at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 16:31:16 UTC 2006

Ingemar Nilsson <init at pdc.kth.se> writes:

> What does your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 say? On my system,
> the last line says

> DHCP_HOSTNAME=my-hostname

> (replace my-hostname with your preferred hostname). Maybe this will help?

> Regards
> Ingemar

Ingemar,

My  /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 :

# nVidia Corporation CK804 Ethernet Controller
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=bootp
HWADDR=00:11:D8:CF:C4:8C
ONBOOT=yes
DHCP_HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain
USERCTL=yes
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=yes
TYPE=Ethernet

After rebooting  my shell domain name is:

[ron at c-67-191-14-212 ~]$

After using the System Configure Network  Gui:

[ron at localhost ~]$

But after reboot it reverts back to:

[ron at c-67-191-14-212 ~]$

It's in here somewhere:

[ron at c-67-191-14-212 ~]$ locate  dhclient

/etc/dhclient-eth0.conf
/etc/resolv.conf.predhclient
/sbin/dhclient
/sbin/dhclient-script
/usr/share/doc/dhclient-3.0.3
/usr/share/doc/dhclient-3.0.3/dhclient.conf.sample
/usr/share/man/man5/dhclient.conf.5.gz
/usr/share/man/man5/dhclient.leases.5.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/dhclient-script.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/dhclient.8.gz
/var/lib/dhclient
/var/lib/dhclient/dhclient-eth0.leases
/var/run/dhclient-eth0.pid

[ron at c-67-191-14-212 ~]$

Concerning a hardware router. Do you have any suggestions (wired and
wireless ) for a novice with one personal computer that has expansion
capabilities as I learn? I keep the SElinux Firewall on with Strict
Enforcing.

-ron-