pirut (FC5 additional package installation help)

Kevin Grover kogrover at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 12 23:06:17 UTC 2006

I installed FC5 (at work) from an NFS mount.  I picked the 'customize later' option on intial install rather than spend the time to select individual packages.  When I run 'Add/Remove Software' from the Gnome (metacity) WM, a GUI pops up, it thinks for a while and gives me an error:

'unable to retrieve software information'

[[Note much help there.  Reminds me of an old fortan compiler that simply said 'No' if the source file had any error.]]

When I click OK the GUI closes (all windows go away),

After poking around, I figured out what program was running (pirut) and ran it from the command line.  Now I see an error there:

'ERROR: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core'

I looked for help on pirut on the system
the program has --help or -h option
no man page
no info page
nothing found in included help (html)
/usr/doc/pirut* was useless
briefly looked at pirut python code, no help there

Is there a way I can get pirut to look at the nfs mounted image for install packages instead of going over the net?  I can not possibly put this machine on an Internet connection.  I guess, I can just nuke everything and re-install and actually choose the options.  I almost wish I would have just left FC4 on the machine.

I also tried yum, rpm, and system-install-packages but it seemd that I had to list a needed packages explicitly.  I tried for a while and gave up.  There must be an easier way.

If there's some other program I can use, or if I can get rpm or yum to let me select packages.  I want to install the KDE stuff, some other WMs, and set XDMCP to be launchable from Applications (?? I think menu) on the login screen.  I know XDMCP is not secure, it does not matter: the network this will run on a physically secure.

Everything worked fine (installing new software with pirut) on my home machine (which is connected to the Internet).

Any help appreciated.

[[FC5 seams to have so much documentation, but never anything I'm really lookiing for]]

- Kevin