pirut (FC5 additional package installation help)

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Apr 13 08:27:25 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 10:12 +0200, Sjoerd Mullender wrote:
> Paul Howarth wrote:

> >>Not entirely true.  You can get it to work.
> >>I have a copy of the DVD ISO on my system which is mounted through the
> >>loop-back mount (but it would work equally well for the extracted DVD).
> >> In some other directory I have a symlink to the Fedora subdirectory
> >>from the DVD.  In that (other) directory I ran the command
> >>	createrepo -g Fedora/base/comps.xml .
> >>This directory I can now use as a source for yum (and hence pirut,
> >>yumex, etc.).
> >

> > Which is exactly what I suggest as my workaround below...
>
> I didn't read that.  ;-)
> Sorry.

> > ... except that there is no need to run createrepo if you have the DVD
> > ISO because the metadata is already on the DVD.
>
> For some reason, that didn't work for me.  I didn't investigate why.

It's working here with fedora-core.repo having:

baseurl=file:///srv/softlib/fedora/bordeaux/dvd

and an fstab entry of:

/srv/softlib/fedora/bordeaux/FC-5-i386-DVD.iso /srv/softlib/fedora/bordeaux/dvd iso9660 ro,loop,fscontext=system_u:object_r:public_content_t:s0 0 0

With this, I can also serve the repo over http and/or ftp for other
clients on the LAN.

Paul.