WiFi not working on Dell Inspiron 6400 - and now on Samsung Q35

Mike Cohler mike.cohler at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 12:47:26 UTC 2006

I have finally resolved this issue after a number of suggestions from
kind people on the net. Eventually I amended some of the ideas to
reach the correct solution.

I found that in fact the modules (ipw3945 and ieee80211) were in fact
loaded at boot but it was the regulatory daemon that was not running
(ipw3945d)

The solution was to append a single line to the /etc/rc.local file:
/sbin/ipw3945d --quiet

Now with this line in, then after boot the wireless interface is
running perfectly and the regulatory daemon is running.

Then with the regulatory daemon continuing to run, a user can switch
the eth1 interface off or on with /sbin/ifup eth1 or /sbin/ifdown eth1
any time they like.

This is nice - but it took a lot of searching to find the solution !

Mike

--

mike cohler