Taskbar or panel how to configure

Jim Patterson jim_patterson at comcast.net
Thu Apr 13 15:54:18 UTC 2006

Is there a way to configure the taskbar(?) show that when an application
is opened multiple times it makes an index or panel for that
application.  Such as when I open 10 terminal windows I end up with this
track of terminal windows along the bottom bar.  When I open 12 it
consoladates them to one bar, with "terminal (12)" which I can click and
see which selections, goes to which terminal.  I would like to modify
this so that when I open more than one terminal window it goes ahead and
consolidates them.  I would also like to have this behavior whenever I
open multiple instances of a browser.

How do I change this configuration?
What is the correct terminology for these items?