HOWTO: On-access virus scanning on FC5

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Fri Apr 14 03:41:38 UTC 2006

On Wednesday, April 12, 2006 10:19 AM -0500 Bruno Wolff III
<bruno at wolff.to> wrote:

> No it won't. One of the reasons viruses on Windows are so prevalent is
> that Windows makes it easy to execute foreign code.

Windows: Let's trust that sleazy guy hiding in the bushes.
Linux: Don't trust the nicely-dressed man at the front door.

The user can always ignore the advice of the OS, which is why the savvy
Windows user can avoid infection without running an AV, while the ignorant
Linux user can still get rooted.

I recently responded to a Windows user who thought it was a "Linux rule"
that one not run routinely as root/Administrator. Not so. MS would love for
Windows users to run without Administrator privilege, and for applications
to work correctly in a LUA environment, but many Windows application
writers have never encountered LUA principles and so continue to write as
if their primary target is Win3.1 or 98, with only one privilege level.