How to install the Nvidia driver in Fedora Core 5 ?

Wong Kwok-hon kwokhon at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 05:31:34 UTC 2006

On 4/14/06, Wong Kwok-hon <kwokhon at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/14/06, alan <alan at clueserver.org> wrote:

> > > Best thing to do is to make sure that kernel-devel is installed and then
> > > download your driver from here:
> > >
> > > http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-8756/NVIDIA-Linux-
> > > x86-1.0-8756-pkg1.run
> > >
> > > You should read the directions on the page before you install:
> > >
> > > http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-8756.html
> > >
> > > I followed the TNT2 links and those urls are what I got.  The installer
> > > now features an editor which will automatically edit your xorg.conf file
> > > if you want.
> > >
> > > If these new drivers still dont' work for you, then you will be stuck
> > > searching the internet for a 7174 version of the Nvidia packaged
> > > drivers.
> >
> > The older versions of the nVIDIA driver do not work with the kernel that
> > comes with FC5.
> >
> > There is a new version of the nVIDIA driver that builds correctly without
> > patches on FC5.  It was released just a few days ago, so you may need to
> > grab the new one.  It is also supposed to fix some issues with suspend as
> > well, as well as a few other bugs.
> >
> > Also make sure you are not running X when you try to build the nVIDIA
> > driver.  It does not like that for some reason.
>
> Yes, my TNT2 M64 is in Nvidia Legacy and not supported in 8756.
> And also I tried to install the 7174 in init 3 which without X but still failed.
> So do any procedure I missed ?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Wong Kwok Hon

Forgot to tell u that I got the information from Nvidia readme file as follows:

Below are the legacy GPUs that are no longer supported in the unified
driver. These GPUs will continue to be maintained through the special
legacy NVIDIA GPU driver releases.
NVIDIA chip name 	Device PCI ID
RIVA TNT 	0x0020
RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro 	0x0028
RIVA TNT2 Ultra 	0x0029
Vanta/Vanta LT 	0x002C
RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro 	0x002D
Aladdin TNT2 	0x00A0
GeForce 256 	0x0100
GeForce DDR 	0x0101
Quadro 	0x0103
GeForce2 GTS/GeForce2 Pro 	0x0150
GeForce2 Ti 	0x0151
GeForce2 Ultra 	0x0152
Quadro2 Pro 	0x0153

So.... No legacy driver for above cards ?

Wong Kwok Hon