OT: Hardware opinions sought

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Apr 14 08:22:44 UTC 2006

On Friday 14 April 2006 06:55, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:

> I did some looking around after you send me that off list email, and
> there are a bunch of AGP video cards that have 512 megs and will more
> than get the job done.  The first link I have for you is an XFX card
>

> http://pcldirect.com/store/product_info.php?
> cPath=281_311&products_id=12449
>
> It's a Geforce 6200A with 512 megs of ram; the detailed specs are above,
> it's got alot more.  Price: 119.00 US bucks.

Unusually, that doesn't sell at $1=£1.  Remarkable value.

> Second link I have for you
>

> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?
> Item=N82E16814121216#DetailSpecs
>

> This is an Asus N6800/TD/512M Geforce 6800 with 512 megs of ram.  The
> url gives you the specs.  Price:  173.75 us bucks as of today.

More expensive, but can do 4x as well as 8x AGP.  I'll have to see the spec of
his mobo.

> If you want to see where these cards are in the overall scheme of things
> I suggest toms hardware both for individual roundup reviews and a birds
> eye view of the performance ratings.  Here's a bird's eye view of all
> card types rated by OpenGL performance:
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/07/05/vga_charts_vii/page9.html
>
> The game that's being used for benchmarking is one of the most math
> intensive programs that there is; it's an excellent way to test the
> whole scope of the system, from the rendering all the way down to the
> processor.
>
> I make max use of my hardware here and all I have is an Nvidia
> Geforce5700 FX, if that tells you anything.  Don't have any problems.
> The bottom line is that you don't have to change out the whole system to
> get him decent graphics power.  You can spend under 200 bucks on his box
> and I don't see anything he wouldn't be able to do.

That's a great help, Lyvim.  Thanks.  I've been so busy this last couple of
days that I haven't had any time to spend on this.  I defend asking before
googling in this case because my experience of advance graphics acceleration
is so little that I don't really know what to look for.  The replies I've had
have been very helpful.

Anne