Charset problems.

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 14 11:45:29 UTC 2006

Tomas Larsson wrote:
> I have an Presario 2880 laptop, running FC4 with KDE.
> I have some problems with charset, garbage is displayed in both KEDIT,
> KWRITE and MYSQL for certain Swedish characters.
>
> I'm supposed to use utf8 and iso-8859-1, but searching through the
> hepl-system and MAN, gives me no clue how to check it and if needed change
> it.

Enough of a problem by itself -- mixing utf8 *and* iso-8859-1. Why do
you think you need both? I'd advise choosing one and sticking to it as
far as possible.

The global character set is set in /etc/sysconfig/i18n: change the LANG
environment variable. It should be
LANG="sv_SE.UTF-8"
for UTF8, and
LANG="sv_SE"
for ISO 8859-1.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "WARNING: This joke contains profanity which some may
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | find offensive. For that reason you are advised not to