OT: ADSL safe practices and setting up a home network

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Apr 14 12:37:37 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-14 at 13:14 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:
> The hardware router does all the talking to ADSL, and Fedora or other
> non-Windows operating systems can use a standard Ethernet connection.
> The router will do NAT (allowing multiple computers to access the
> Internet at the same time, while only needing one "real" IP address),
> and act as a basic firewall.

Be aware that unless the box is *meant* to act as a firewall, it may not
be any good to you as one.  Just because it's doing NAT doesn't mean
that you can't get outside connections coming through.  I've seen a
Billion ADSL modem/router that has passed unexpected outside connections
through to the network.  It seems that some of these devices try to be a
little too helpful to some things that NAT gets in the way of.

I read messages from the public lists.