Mail Server Question

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Apr 14 14:26:18 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-14 at 07:13 -0700, Styma, Robert E (Robert) wrote:
> I just got a question froma friend who is running
> FC5 on his home network plus other machines.
> He wants to set up his own imap mail server on the
> FC5 machine.  This server would pull in mail from
> another mail server using POP.  My understanding
> is that the mail servers normally use SMTP to
> pull in their mail.  Has anyone seen this sort
> of setup.
>
> The purpose of this exercise is that his kids jump
> around from one computer to another and this tends
> to spread out the email across multiple machines.
> I suspect some of the machines are running windows.
> Using iMAP, the mail can just reside on the local
> server.
>
> Thanks for any pointers.
----
this isn't uncommon and I do exactly that at my house.

I use fetchmail to retrieve the mail from other server(s)

I use MailScanner to wrapper MailScanner and clamav inspection of
incoming mail

I use Postfix as the SMTP (fetchmail hands the mail off to SMTP)

I use cyrus-imapd as the local server for IMAP connections (though some
say that dovecot is easier)

Once that is all set up, all mail can be retrieved from any computer
using a mail client program set to use the IMAP account on the local
server. I also use horde/imp etc. for web based mail/calendaring/address
books, etc. which can also be shared among the users which would be a
great option for a family setup.

Craig