OT: ADSL safe practices and setting up a home network

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 14 14:28:08 UTC 2006

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 21:39 -0700, Richard England wrote:
>
>>I'm looking into entering the 21st century and need some help finding
>>out how to go about setting up an ADSL connection at my home. Can anyone
>>give me some good novice references for what is required for a safe
>>connection in the way of cable modems, routers, hardware firewalls, and
>>how this is all connected?
>>
>>Any pointers gratefully accepted, and feel free to email me directly.
>>
>>Thank you,
>>
>>--
>
> I see other peoples advice. My experience with SBC (now AT&T) they will
> get you a modem and wired and wireless router for about $50. Then the

I got just the MoDem, no router. I bought a D-Link router (wireless),
and disabled the wireless part and removed the antenna. I don' need
no snoopin'.

> only problem is they are stuck on Windows configuration for which they
> give you a CD. So you can:

This was my experience, as well. They *only* support Windows. If I call
them with a problem, they argue with me about what OS I'm running.
It is either MacOS or some version of Windows. I've had one tell me
repeatedly that I was running Windows XP, while I told him repeatedly
I wasn't running any version of Windows. Finally, I told him I was
running Linux, and he said "Oh, you're running Linux. We don't support
Linux." and he hung up.

Anyway, I had to borrow a Windows machine in order to start service.
The router I was able to configure simply using my browser.

> 1. Go into New York mode and tell them they have to show you hoe to
> configure your router whcih I did the firsat itme.
> 2. Find a Windows box and run the configure CD which I did the second
> time.
>
> If you just get a modem you can buy a linksys router and wireless access
> point (G type) which comes also with a CD with detailed instructions.
> That part is really a no brainer. Firewall is installed and normally
> ther eis place for 4 hardwired machines and lots of wireless machines in
> both cases.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.