OT: ADSL safe practices and setting up a home network

Neil Cherry ncherry at comcast.net
Fri Apr 14 19:45:42 UTC 2006

Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 10:13:35AM -0700, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
>> Note, I can't see the value of running one of those under-powered
>> boxes as a firewall.  Why?  It uses the same software firewall that
> 200 MHz MIPSel with 32 MBytes RAM is underpowered for a residential
> firewall? Only for most extreme P2P users. If it sucks you're running
> the wrong firmware.
> If it's underpowered, use a 266 MHz soekris or wrap board with 128 MBytes --
> and add swap space, if you must. If it's *still* underpowered, take a
> mini-ITX Eden, booting from compact flash.

I just did a test with my WGT634U (ttcp through LAN1 & the internet
port, in bridge mode) and it seems to be able to forward (in one
direction at least) ~86Mbps (1450 byte tcp packets). Turning on
the firewall will slow it down and I don't know home much yet.
A report on Tom's hardware seems to suggest that big block traffic
can be received at around 20Mbps with the default WRT software with
default settings.

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site