FC5 Upgrade & fontconfig problems

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Fri Apr 14 22:42:54 UTC 2006

I just did a yum upgrade from FC4 to FC5 on a very old machine
(Anaconda crashed, probably for lack of memory). I can ssh in,
etc. and the machine is doing its job (firewall).

However, when I try to run the GUI for firestarter, I get:

	No fonts found; this probably means that the fontconfig
	library is not correctly configured. You may need to
	edit the fonts.conf configuration file. More information
	about fontconfig can be found in the fontconfig(3) manual
	page and on http://fontconfig.org

Unfortunately these two references are silent on what to do. Do I run
some program or other? What? I have fonts on the
machine. xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-1-75dpi-7.0-3 is installed.

Why do I need fonts on a headerless machine, anyway? Shouldn't the
fonts all be on the X server?