fdisk -lu /dev/hda | grep NTFS

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Sat Apr 15 03:15:13 UTC 2006

On Saturday, April 15, 2006 10:26 AM +0800 Ed Greshko
<Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:

> and try again as root.  fdisk is in /sbin and not part of your normal
> PATH.  Also, you will need to be root to open /dev/hda anyway.

One of the first things I do on a Fedora system is to change the
path-setting logic in /etc/profile.d to grant the sbin directories to
normal users. I shouldn't need to be root to query many system settings,
and being root all the time for the convenience of reading system settings
can be dangerous.

You don't need to be root to access raw disk devices; you can also be in
the disk group. The disk group is intended to be the group that runs dump
to backup disks, but you can also use it to run fdisk read-only to query a
disk's configuration. Use gpasswd to add a user to the disk group.