Problem booting FC5 after good install and doing the "first boot" configuration

Debbie Deutsch fedoralist at ddeutsch.org
Sat Apr 15 07:06:57 UTC 2006

Lyvim Xaphir wrote:

> Has this machine done any updates or is this the original binaries off
> of the FC5 install cds?
>

> Given the information you have gathered up to this point, I would put
> the machine in runlevel 3 and then start experimenting with different X
> resolutions.  Unless that is the machine has gone thru updating.
>

> LX

No, there were no updates.  I've never been able to get past the
configuration procedure that happens when you boot the first time after
the install.  The installation was off an unmodified FC5 distribution.

Since my previous email I reinstalled FC5 from scratch.  Then I went
through the first boot configuration process, but this time I did NOT
alter my display settings or change the SELinux setting.  I got the same
problem as before.  The screen went grayish-blue, then blank, and the
system hung.

One other thing may be worth mentioning.  The installation correctly
identified the graphics chipset on the motherboard and the monitor
model.  However the initial display settings during the first boot were
600x800.  This is almost certainly a lower resolution that was used
during the installation procedure.  I don't remember the monitor coming
up with such a low resolution when I installed FC5 on my other Linux box.

This problem is baffling.  I wonder if there is a log file somewhere
that might reveal something.   I could boot into Linux rescue mode and
take a look, if I knew what to look for.  :-)

Debbie